Friday is looking for a Delivery Director
Who We Are:
Delivery Directors provide vision; driving the evolution of delivery practices and ensuring excellence in every aspect of our delivery to clients – from strategy to shipping. You will lead by doing, mentor with generosity and simplify the complex. You will be responsible for setting up and running programmes, overseeing a range of projects and managing one or more projects yourself, as part of a highly skilled digital team. You’ll be adept at delivering complex digital projects, breaking down barriers for your team, planning at a higher level and getting into the detail to make things happen when needed.
What You’ll Do:
You will develop strategic, long-term relationships with clients. You will formulate and articulate complex delivery strategies and workable, tactical plans. You will ensure our delivery solutions are robust and commercially strong. You are not set in one process or way of thinking, but use exactly the right skills to solve our client challenges. You will spend 70% of your time in the work and 30% of your time mentoring and supporting others. You will be responsible for over £2m of projects and you will lead high-profile client work.
You will be core to decisions that build high performing teams, where people are excited about the work they are undertaking. You will have line management responsibility for one or more Delivery Managers.
The big picture:
- You have a strategic understanding of Friday’s goals and vision; and why clients and employees come to Friday
- You demonstrate understanding of and promote best practice of the Friday values and ways of working
- You keep up to date with opportunities issues and trends, and have a point of view, sharing your knowledge generously
- You are committed to helping build a better Friday and able to spot new business opportunities, and can take an active role in new business development (ie, pitching, chemistry meetings)
Key responsibilities, skills and experience
- Lead and formulate delivery strategy, be a delivery expert the team can draw on to determine the most appropriate approaches and methodologies
- Clearly communicate delivery direction to others and be ‘in the work’ yourself
- Be organised, self-motivated, ambitious, curious
- Have direct line management responsibilities; coach, mentor and train; organise and run interviews, onboarding activities, 1-2-1’s, performance appraisals and development plans
- Evolve and codify our Delivery Management practice, deliver projects using the appropriate delivery methodology, learning and iterating frequently, and coaching others to do so
- Stand in for the Head of Delivery as required
- Set the bar/example of what great Delivery Management looks like, ensuring quality and attention to detail is embedded throughout our project work.
- Leading planning and road mapping of projects and programmes of work, including kick off and on-going workshops and collaborating closely with the team to keep focus on working in a rational sequence following an agreed approach
- Spot warning signs of things going wrong and provide a decisive response to significant delivery challenges. You will be a point of escalation and will be expected to act
- Play an active part in new business development, coaching the team on possible and recommended approaches; including setting direction for delivery, pitching to present ideas, recommendations and estimates and being heavily involved in Procurement conversations/processes, including written responses
- Lead the collaborative, dynamic planning process to set the project up for success, prioritising the work that needs to be done against the capacity and capability of the team – taking a ’whole agency’ view and contributing actively to agency capacity and demand planning and commercial profitability targets
- Analyse and evaluate pros and cons and identify risks to make decisions that take account of the wider context of a project and identify the correct point for escalation and action. Make considered recommendations to appropriate escalation points
- Identify the main issues in complex problems and work to clarify understanding or expectations, to seek the best options, pragmatically weighing the complexities involved against the need to act
- Push decision making to the right level within teams, to encourage innovation and delivery within the team
Governance and quality
- Make clear, pragmatic and manageable plans for programme or project delivery, using appropriate disciplines
- Establish and manage to robust governance for programmes and projects, including RACI, dependency mapping, risk management, stakeholder management and reporting
- Coach the team through understanding new or adjusted practices introduced into the project or product life cycle
- Review, challenge and adjust performance levels to ensure quality outcomes are delivered on time
- Get the best out of people by giving enthusiastic and encouraging messages about priorities, objectives and expectations
- Exemplify positive client service behaviours and promote a culture focused on ensuring client needs are met. Put yourself in the client’s shoes.
- Ensuring that agreed processes are always stuck to, properly, including running retros’ and identifying learnings, and feeding these back in to make sure the learnings are learned from.
Leading and communicating
- Be visible to your teams and our clients, and regularly undertake activities to engage and build trust with the team, the client and the stakeholders
- Confidently engage with clients and colleagues at all levels to generate commitment to goals. Build relationships with senior clients.
- Clarify strategies and plans, giving clear sense of direction and purpose
- Maintain clear, calm communications in challenging circumstances and lead by example, encouraging others to do the same. Use your strong communication and coaching skills within the team to resolve issues
- Ensure feedback is flowing appropriately, is observed, analysed and actioned by the team to improve delivery practices.
- Demonstrate excellent presentation and negotiation skills, speaking and acting with authority, gravitas and presence
Collaborating, sharing and partnering
- Actively build relationships with colleagues, clients and third-party contacts to achieve progress on objectives and shared interests and collaborate with team members as part of the creation and solution-finding process
- Encourage contributions and involvement from a broad and diverse range of people by being visible and accessible
- Effectively manage team dynamics when working across disciplines and other boundaries
- Seek constructive outcomes in discussions, challenge assumptions but remain willing to compromise when it is beneficial to progress
- Actively participating in the wider Delivery Management Department, sharing and re-applying skills and knowledge and bringing in best practice
- Understand enough of the client’s domain to be able to hold the team’s focus on the value proposition within each goal the team commits to
- Understand enough of the technical domain to recognise the technical risks arising from the development process
- Lead and understand the delivery practices in use, and the information flow required
Specialist Skills and requirements
- Demonstrable commercial acumen, with excellent written and numerical skills. You will be highly-experienced in writing Statements of Work, project approaches and proposals, in long-form
- Expertise in estimating, scoping and delivering large scale digital projects and products, using a variety of techniques
- Strong organisational and communication skills
You may be required to go into client organisations, as part of delivery teams and set up delivery practices, governance and routines onsite for periods of time, or coach others to do so.
For more information on this key senior hire within our Delivery Team, please send your CV and covering letter to: email@example.com
Package and benefits
Competitive salary, dependent on experience
- Health insurance
- Free eye tests
- Discretionary bonus
- Childcare vouchers
- Employee assistance programme
- Independent financial advice
- Contributory pension
- Enhanced adoption, paternity and maternity leave
- Professional membership fees and subscriptions paid
- Weekly massages