Friday is looking for a Frontend Engineer
About Engineering at Friday
Engineers at Friday are committed and passionate technology enthusiasts. We focus on the heavy lifting of application architecture, data modelling, application logic, data services and REST APIs, both in the browser and on the server. Our engineers have deep specialist skills in one or two parts of the stack (from prototyping and front end, to backend, infrastructure and QA), however, we encourage a full-stack attitude: an understanding of the whole project lifecycle and an ability to navigate, communicate and practice at opposite ends of the stack.
We pride ourselves on our strong engineering practice; from open sourcing our own tools and practices, adopting collaborative and empowering methods such as TDD, BDD and Specification by Example, establishing a QA and DevOps culture within all teams, embracing mobile-first responsive design by default and striving for a culture of continuous learning.
What you’ll do
As a Frontend Engineer you will work in an agile environment to conceive, describe and craft, beautifully useful digital services. You will work on high profile projects, building responsive websites and mobile applications. You’ll gain exposure to the full stack utilising continuous integration processes and a broad range of technologies to deliver a high-quality customer focused experience across a range of devices.
Everybody at Friday is client-facing, so when you’re not writing code you will be assisting with pitches, running Specification by Example workshops, or doing feature demonstrations. You’ll be encouraged to innovate and share knowledge with your team.
About the Role
As a Frontend Engineer, your key tasks and responsibilities will be to:
- Collaborate closely with our designers to develop in-browser prototypes, living styleguides, pattern libraries and re-usable UI components
- Work closely with our in-house QA team to marry unit tests with rigorous end-to-end testing to ensure applications function as expected
- Assist the delivery team with specification workshops, story estimation, documentation and release planning
- Adopt and evolve Friday’s engineering standards and practices, to ensure we have a shared and common approach to development and delivery
To be successful in this role, you will need to have:
- Experience of writing single page applications with a mainstream framework (either React/ES6 or Angular/Typescript) with modular, responsive CSS (Sass/BEM, CSS Modules etc.)
- A good understanding of WCAG accessibility guidelines, common issues across web and mobile devices, and how to fix them
- A good knowledge of git, branching and continuous integration strategies
- A good understanding of the full web stack including HTTP, REST APIs and performance debugging
- Be a confident problem solver, troubleshooter and debugger in both development and production environments
- Ability to convert client requirements into stories and tasks, help define acceptance criteria and provide estimates for delivery.
The Big Plus
In addition to the above, we would be thrilled if you also had:
- A demonstrable eye for good user interface design, typography and user experience
- Experience writing unit and end-to-end tests
- Experience using any modern content management system (inc. headless mode)
- Understanding of good agile principles using Scrum and Kanban
- An active member of the frontend developer community.
Our ideal candidate is someone who is:
- Delightfully non-ego driven
- Full of energy and passion for what they do
- Confident and generous in sharing own specialist knowledge
- Able to make good decisions by applying both reason and intuition
- Pragmatic and knows when their code is “good enough” to ship
- Constantly learning, teaching and challenging their own thinking
- Able to make others better by consciously teaching and unconsciously inspiring
- Well organised, with a strong work ethic
- An exceptional communicator who is able to communicate effectively at all levels
- Passionate about code, keen to learn and willing to get their hands dirty
- Collaborative, friendly, ‘hunchy’ with bags of initiative.
To find out more about joining our hugely talent Front End Team who work with some of the latest technology, please send your CV and Covering letter to email@example.com
Package and benefits
Competitive salary, dependent on experience
- Health insurance
- Free eye tests
- Discretionary bonus
- Childcare vouchers
- Employee assistance programme
- Independent financial advice
- Contributory pension
- Enhanced adoption, paternity and maternity leave
- Professional membership fees and subscriptions paid
- Weekly massages