Friday is looking for a Lead Automation QA
Who We Are:
Friday makes digital products for clients in a range of industries and sectors. Placing user experiences and quality at the forefront of the deliverables, the role of QA is critical. Using agile delivery methodologies, the teams work collaboratively to produce software in iterative drops. All members of the team contribute throughout the lifecycle, including inputting to the design and requirements definition and interacting with the clients. We place high standards on the quality of software delivered, hence every project has dedicated, independent testers. We have a rapid turnaround and require fast feedback on what we deliver so automation is key, as is the capability to produce systems to required non-functional levels.
What You’ll Do:
Working with the Head of QA, you’ll be responsible for delivering QA automation across both our internal projects and those for our clients. You’ll ensure automated acceptance test suites, performance monitoring and CI jobs are implemented, maintained, and are being used to give consistent feedback on the health of our systems. You’ll be the subject matter expert of automation frameworks at Friday.
You’ll mentor other members of the team, working on automation tasks, and monitoring the implementation and consistent use of the automation frameworks. Working in project teams on specific client deliverables you’ll identify opportunities and scope for improved implementation of automation. You’ll consider automation in relation to functional, regression and non-functional testing, including load and performance testing, accessibility, API testing, and visual regression testing.
About the Role:
As a Lead Automation QA, your key tasks and responsibilities will be to:
- Develop, publish, and execute a robust automation strategy across the organisation.
- Actively contribute to the delivery of testing and automation, whilst providing oversight and direction across all the automation at Friday.
- Provide estimates on work required and ensure deliverables are managed within the allocated time and budget.
- Write and execute tests using automation frameworks.
- Write web performance tests and produce test reports.
- Implement cross-browser and device tests using automated tools.
- Ensure any project non-functional requirements are captured and validated.
- Deliver Operational Acceptance Testing test plans and oversee their execution.
- Mentor team members in automation and non-functional requirement approaches, and ensure the implementation of these is to a high quality.
- Raise issues, and manage defect backlogs, including running defect sessions with the client.
- Estimate test efforts, and report on test progress
- Develop a deep understanding of the systems, tools and architecture being delivered, and use this to ensure quality is maintained
- Work with clients, and advise on their automation approaches as required.
To be successful in this role you will need to have:
- Minimum of 3 years Software Testing experience, ideally web and mobile applications.
- Experience in a senior/lead automation role with previous experience of implementing automation frameworks.
- Experience in load and performance test tools, preferably open-source/non-enterprise (e.g. ApacheBench, JMeter).
- Experience of working in digital and web technologies.
- Experience of working in multi-project environments, ideally with rapid project turnaround using iterative delivery approaches.
- Expertise in the following technologies and tools:
- Static code analysis tools (e.g. SonarQube)
- Selenium/Capybara with Cucumber, Ruby and Cucumber.js
- Appium or similar mobile automation tools
- Knowledge of REST APIs including HTTP principles, XML and JSON
- SQL, relational databases, HTML and Linux based environments
- Hands on experience of Selenium (Webdriver/Capybara/Watir) for web application automation.
- Experience of setting up and maintaining CI test run jobs (we use Jenkins).
- Using version control to manage code (we use git).
- Experience of leading a test effort, and delivering within time and budget constraints.
- Used the Atlassian toolset (Jira/Confluence/HipChat) to complement face-to-face interactions.
The Big Plus:
It would be a definite bonus if you also had some experience of:
- Experience of BDD delivery approaches including specification by example techniques.
- CMS experience (e.g. Sitecore, AEM, Brightspot, Umbraco).
- Jira (especially any admin use or JQL).
- .NET/C#/SpecFlow experience.
- ISTQB qualifications (foundation or higher).
Our ideal candidate is someone who is:
- An excellent communicator, understands when issues need to be raised, and does so in an appropriate and timely manner
- An active member of the QA community, shows interest in keeping up to date with tools and techniques, and attends meet-ups or other learning events.
- Naturally inquisitive, proactive, and keen to understand systems in order to find flaws, opportunities and defects.
- Willing and able to learn and use new technologies.
- Flexible and adaptable to working in a constantly changing environment.
- Tenacious and pragmatic at finding the correct solution.
- A team player with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, who is effective at working independently and collaboratively.
- A detail-oriented individual who enjoys the challenge of technical troubleshooting.
- Able to prioritise, organise and manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, navigating obstacles, and consistently meeting deadlines.
- Adept at applying excellent interpersonal communication skills to effectively interact with technical and non-technical employees, management and clients.
- Able to exercise high levels of initiative, judgement and diplomacy as required.
- Smart, no ego, fun, goal orientated and driven by integrity.
- Enthusiastic, proactive with a can-do attitude.
- Collaborative, friendly, ‘hunchy’ with bags of initiative.
For more information on joining the QA team here at Friday, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Package and benefits
Competitive salary, dependent on experience
- Health insurance
- Free eye tests
- Discretionary bonus
- Childcare vouchers
- Employee assistance programme
- Independent financial advice
- Contributory pension
- Enhanced adoption, paternity and maternity leave
- Professional membership fees and subscriptions paid
- Weekly massages