Friday is looking for a Lead Frontend Engineer
Who We Are
Engineers at Friday are committed and passionate technology enthusiasts. We focus on the heavy lifting of application architecture, data modelling, application logic, data services and REST APIs, both in the browser and on the server. Our engineers have deep specialist skills in one or two parts of the stack (from prototyping and front end, to backend, infrastructure and QA), however, we encourage a full-stack attitude: an understanding of the whole project lifecycle and an ability to navigate, communicate and practice at opposite ends of the stack.
We pride ourselves on our strong engineering practice; from open sourcing our own tools and practices, adopting collaborative and empowering methods such as TDD, BDD and Specification by Example, establishing a QA and DevOps culture within all teams, embracing mobile-first responsive design by default and striving for a culture of continuous learning.
What You’ll Do
As a Lead Frontend Engineer you will work in a dynamic, agile environment to conceive, describe and craft beautifully useful digital services alongside and as part of a wider multi-disciplinary team. You will work on high profile projects, building responsive and performant UI and client side applications and services. You'll gain exposure to the full stack utilising continuous delivery processes and a broad range of technologies to deliver high-quality, maintainable and customer focused experiences across a range of devices.
Everyone at Friday is client facing, so when you're not writing code you will be assisting with pitches, participating in Specification by Example workshops, or doing feature demonstrations. Everyone is encouraged to innovate and share knowledge with the wider company.
About the Role
As a Lead Frontend Engineer, your key tasks and responsibilities will be to:
- Understand project requirements, and co-develop through Specification by Example, estimation and planning, clear and testable requirements and prioritised work effort
- Adopt and evolve our in-house development standards and processes, to always ensure our front end code is clear, maintainable and performant
- Mentor and formally line manage other member of the frontend engineering team
- Develop living style guides, pattern libraries and reusable UI components
- Work closely with our QA team to ensure unit tests, accessibility tests and automation workflows are rigorous and work end-to-end
- Present feature demonstrations to our clients and the wider company
- Research, evaluate and share new technologies, methods and techniques.
To be successful in this role you will need to have:
- Deep proficiency in architecting complex single page applications using React/Redux/ES6
- Deep proficiency in writing scalable, modular and responsive CSS (Sass/BEM, CSS Modules etc.)
- A good understanding of semantic HTML, accessibility rules and guidelines (WCAG 2.1), and how to test for compliance (manual and automated)
- A good working knowledge of git, branching and Continuous Integration
- A good understanding of the web stack including HTTP/S, REST APIs and performance
- A good understanding of writing unit and integration tests (we use Jest and Cucumber)
- Confidence in your ability to solve problems, troubleshoot and debug in both development and production environments
- The ability to break requirements down into features and tasks and provide reasonable estimates for delivery
- Ability to clearly articulate architectural design decisions using a range of techniques such as Specification by Example, formal diagrams and informal whiteboard sessions
- Confidently set delivery team direction, course correct where necessary and directly manage other front-end engineers.
The Big Plus
In addition to the above, we'd be thrilled if you also had:
- A demonstrable eye for good user interface design, typography and user experience
- Experience of component libraries and styleguides (e.g. Storybook, Styleguidist etc.)
- Experience of other client-side frameworks and tooling such as Angular, Typescript and Ionic
- Experience of server-side frameworks such as Node, Ruby on Rails or ASP.NET MVC
- Experience of developing hybrid mobile applications using Cordova/Ionic
- Experience of agile working methods using Scrum and Kanban
- Experience using any modern content management system (inc. headless mode)
- An active member of the front end engineering community.
Our ideal candidate is someone who is:
- Delightfully non-ego driven
- Full of energy and passion for what they do
- Confident and generous in sharing their own specialist knowledge, ideas and solutions
- Able to make good decisions by applying both reason and intuition
- Pragmatic and knows when the code is "good enough" to ship
- Constantly learning, teaching (not preaching!) and challenging their own thinking
- Able to make others better by consciously teaching and unconsciously inspiring
- Well organised with a strong work ethic
- An exceptional communicator who can work with clients and internal teams at all levels
- Passionate about code, and willing to get their hands dirty
- Collaborative, friendly, "hunchy" with bags of initiative.
For more information on joining the Friday Engineering team and the opportunity to work with some great clients on super interesting projects with a great team, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Package and benefits
Competitive salary, dependent on experience
- Health insurance
- Free eye tests
- Discretionary bonus
- Childcare vouchers
- Employee assistance programme
- Independent financial advice
- Contributory pension
- Enhanced adoption, paternity and maternity leave
- Professional membership fees and subscriptions paid
- Weekly massages