About Design at Friday
Designers at Friday have deep practitioner specialist skills across any or all parts of the design spectrum - from design strategy and IA, UX, interface design, through to prototyping and movement. We however display a generalist attitude; an understanding of the whole design process, and can easily navigate, communicate and practice the full spectrum.
We have practical delivery skills to make actual things rather than just pictures of things. And these skills constantly evolve – so we self-teach a lot.
We are passionate about the intersection between Design, UX and Front End and the possibilities for innovation at those boundaries. We work in mixed discipline highly collaborative teams, committed to building better experiences and truly believe that user experience is the responsibility of the whole project team.
What you’ll do
You will join a multi-disciplinary team to deliver digital marketing objectives for a global bank, including digitising customer service (self service) and supporting marketing transformation (eg: platforms, processes, marketing automation and ongoing measurement and optimization) This will involve activities like gathering requirements to understand business, prospect and customer needs, evolving existing parts of the digital ecosystem, through to designing new journeys and functionality. You will work iteratively and collaboratively with the team and client to deliver at speed.
Lead Designers at Friday act as a visionary, leading the evolution of design best practice and ensuring creative excellence in every aspect of Friday’s delivery and offer to clients. As Lead Designer, you will:
- Have design responsibility for a programme of work for a global bank.
- Develop strong, long-term strategic relationships with clients, working in complex multi-stakeholder environments.
- Formulate and articulate design strategy and processes. You will lead the end-to-end design aspects of our work and ensure it is robust, progressive and commercially strong.
- Support the CDO in leading Friday’s long term creative output, with shared responsibility for the welfare, creativity, performance and profitability of the Design Team.
About the Role
As Lead Designer you will have been developing responses to complex digital ecosystem problems for 7+ years within an agency or design studio. You will therefore have extensive experience and advanced knowledge of a wide range of design tools, software, techniques and processes - and know when to use them.
Your key tasks and responsibilities will be to:
- Set up and manage the processes and rhythms for design governance across multiple projects
- Have a clear view of the projects, map how they relate to each other and be responsible for design coherence across them
- Formulate and lead design strategy in collaboration with internal teams and clients
- Navigate comfortably between a mix of “hands-on-in-the-detail” of a project and contributing to the wider program of work
- Produce detailed design deliverables depending on the project: sketches, wireframes, prototypes, site maps, user flows, visual design. Direct others to do the same
- Challenge inappropriate ideas and solutions
- Support the team to present, explain and justify design solutions to clients
- Assist with managing the pipeline of future design work and the pipeline of designers - and assign designers to projects
- Have line management responsibility for both freelance and permanent designers. For permanent designers develop coaching, mentoring and training plans, organise and run performance appraisals, input into salary negotiations/ reward management
- Assist with recruitment and onboarding of new staff
- Accurately scope, estimate effort and define activities for large complex programmes of work (e.g. in proposals/SOWs)
- Know the team well, their skills and interests; cast blended teams that compliment and challenge each other
- Identify the way forward, set the design direction
- Set and manage clear expectations about quality and speed of project output
- Recognise opportunities for specialist engagement and oversee their contribution.
- Be an outstanding and highly skilled and experienced design practitioner covering all aspects of digital responsive interaction design
- Be able to use the usual design and prototyping software to the highest level (eg:, Sketch, Illustrator, Invision, Axure, Omnigraffle, Sublime/Atom, Keynote, pen and paper)
- Confidently sketch target customer experiences, journeys and interfaces in collaborative teams and in workshops with clients.
- Deep knowledge of responsive, adaptive and inclusive devices (desktop to multi-touch), up to date knowledge of accessibility
- Accomplished at using captivating storytelling techniques to convey information, argument and persuasion in formal pressured settings, to large senior audiences
- Able to have full and frank conversations, employing sensitivity and robustness in equal measure
- Challenge and question using different critique techniques, offering praise when deserved; actively seek feedback on own output and management approach.
- Actively form, sustain and deepen strategic relationships with colleagues and clients
- Make confident public guesses: proposing early hypothesis, as a starting point to collaborative iteration (happy being publicly wrong too)
- Engage in and lead vigorous debate, make final decisions when necessary and take full responsibility for the team approach
- Improve and ratify answers by seeking peer review; recognise default patterns of thinking and challenge.
Continual Learning Skills
- Keep up to date with specialism advancement, assess direct application to real projects
- Be self-taught, understand new things by trying them, doing them, building them
- Be committed to driving up the level of design expertise across the business; provide design expert advice to project teams and clients
- Spot gaps in the team’s knowledge and formulate training plans
- Make others around you better by consciously teaching and unconsciously inspiring.
The Big Plus
In addition to the above, we’d love it if you:
- have experience in financial services
- have some coding skills
- are an active member of the design community
- You are delightfully non-ego driven
- You are full of energy and passion for what you do
- You are constantly learning by teaching yourself and challenging your own and thinking
- You make others around you better by consciously teaching and unconsciously inspiring
- You have a strong work ethic, are well organised, can manage complexity across multiple projects.
- You have an eye for detail and ‘good enough’ never is.
- You are an exceptional communicator.
- You are collaborative, friendly, ‘hunchy’ with bags of initiative
For more information on this key hire for the Design role at Friday please send your enquiries or application to email@example.com